Sunday, March 10, 2013

Day 4 : Feeding

Never thought I would say this but I am starting to not mind handling the feeder bugs for Fargo.

The crickets I keep in a Cricket Keeper. Inside their tank I place some sort of a water source such as a carrot or potato. Do not make my mistake by placing a dish with actual water in it. I originally placed a bottle cap with water inside to find my crickets all drowned the next day. I also put a small dish of cricket food that you can purchase in the reptile section of a pet store. This will gut load them before I feed them to Fargo.

This is the cricket keeper I use
Image Source
Taking them out of the cricket keeper is easy. The cricket keeper comes with tubes that they like to hang out in. All I have to do is remove the tube and shake them into a bag and then just dump them into Fargo's tank. I have been sprinkling them each time with the calcium and vitamins since I am not sure if she has eaten any of the others that I have placed in the tank.

For the meal worms I fill a layer of oatmeal in a plastic tupperware container. I add pieces of carrots, apples and potato. I also sprinkle some of the calcium and mutli vitamin supplements inside. I let them feed for 24 hours then removed the pieces of food and stick them in the fridge. I poked holes in the cover of the tupperware to provide oxygen. The worms become dormant in the fridge so they don't need food.

Keeping them refrigerated will keep them from turning into beetles.

These are the vitamins/calcium that I sprinkle my feeder bugs with
Image Source
I still haven't seen Fargo eat but I have just been keeping her dish filled with a few meal worms  replacing any that die. I also place a piece of carrot in the meal worm dish so they can keep hydrated.

Today I also added a few more crickets. I don't know where the others have gone. She may have eaten them or they may be hiding. I'm hoping they've been eaten.

Toward the end of the week I plan on cleaning out the reptile carpet and checking to see if some of the crickets made their way underneath.

Tonight I will be at my fiance's so Fargo will remain undisturbed. Hopefully this will allow her time to get use to her new home.

To other herp owners: How long did it take for your new pet to adjust to his/her new home?

No comments:

Post a Comment